Wednesday 30 September 2009

Chapter 2 - Jonathan Harker's Journal (continued)

In this chapter Dracula is properly introduced a full detailed description of his appearance is given.He comes across as quite friendly and polite to Jonathan but is also mysterious due to his continuous disappearing. He also comes across as slightly weird for example his talk of the 'children of the night' and his keen interest into England.


I think Jonathan is becoming aware of Dracula more now, i particularly like the quote...
' I am all in a sea of wonders. I doubt; i fear; i think strange things which i dare not confess to my own soul God keep me, if only for the sake of those dear to me!'
I think it truly shows Jonathan's emotions and thoughts at the current time.



My favourite part of this chapter is when Jonathan cuts himself shaving. I like the way Dracula responds to this by grabbing his neck but then retaliating when he finds the crucifix. This gives the reader the thought again why did he act in such a strange manner to a cut? another mysterious factor is that Dracula couldn't not be seen in the shaver glass. Why was this? and also that there was no mirrors around at all, which is quite peculiar in such a big place. The fact that Dracula throws the glass out of the window gives the impression that he has something to hide. Possibly he may have realised that his reflection by Jonathan could not be seen.


At the end of the chapter Jonathan realises he is locked in the castle ' The castle is a vertiabke prison and i am a prisoner!'. This i found was abit of a twist in the story so far, due to Draculas friendly and polite attitude. Why would he of locked Jonathan away? and What did he want from him?

1 comment:

  1. Good - well summarised! The point you raise about Dracula's reference to the 'children of the night' is good - 'children' tends to have a positive connotation... so it seems to say that Drac looks on the wolves positively... definitely a rather strange thing, given the stereotype of wolves being linked to evil!
    I also like the short extract you pick up regarding JH's feelings - why is this so effective? Well, look at the pattern of 3: I doubt, I fear, I think... and then he goes on to expand upon it. The rapid progression of apprehensive verbs is what expresses his confusion.

    ReplyDelete